------

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 02, 2022

Tinkering About... Made a DIY Whip Finish Tool! #flytying

Prototype Worked But...

Work is work but still cannot help but think about fishing. This time, I thought about making a Whip Finish Tool that was just a tad bit larger than the one I bought from Cabela's.

After a little brainstorming, I made a prototype using spring wire from little marker flags used for marking buried lines and cables before a contractor digs up the ground.

Prototype worked but the diameter needed to be smaller.

Let's Try Again!

Next round, I decided to head to Hobby Lobby for ideas. In short order, I picked the parts listed below:

  • .047" Music Wire
  • 3/32" Brass Tube
  • 4mm Round Copper Beads
  • Super Glue

Using pliers, diagonal cutters, and a vise grip, I cut and formed the Music Wire into a Whip Finish Tool using one I bought from Cabela's as a template. 

  • The modification I made was to lengthen the gap of the tool. This allowed easier whip finishing larger flies that end "mid-body" like the Foam Grasshopper.
  • Once the wire  was shaped and cut, I cut brass tubing to make a rotating handle and placed copper beads as spacers at both ends of the handle. 
  • To complete the DIY project, I bent the end of the wire to secure the copper bead and added Super Glue for good measure.

Simple to make... do give it a go and make your own DIY Whip Finish Tool!

Till next time, Good Luck and Good Fishing!



PS: If you decide to go the simple and quick route, can always buy a DR Slick Whip Finish Tool courtesy of Bass Pro Shops!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Copyright 2024 - CityOfAllenFishing.Blogspot.Com

Contact Us: COAF.Weblog@Live.Com